There’s isn’t a camera out there that can capture the remarkable beauty of the Grand Canyon. However, the GoPro HD HERO 960 Wearable HD Video Camcorder comes pretty darn close. I’m taking this wearable HD Video Camcorder on my next Grand Canyon Hike and here’s why…
The GoPro HD HERO 960 allows you to record HD video at selectable resolutions such as 960p, 720p and 480p. One cool feature is that you can capture 5.0MP still images at 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 second intervals for amazingly clear images. This is great for hands free picture taking. Of course you can set it to take single shots, triple shots and it has a self timer for “traditional” photo taking. The one thing I don’t like about “regular” digital cameras is how long you have to wait between shots. The GoPRro HD Hero 960 is built to capture all the action so no need to worry about missing a thing.
When you’re on your Grand Canyon hike, there’s going to be a lot of steps and obstacles, and there’s no doubt you’ll be dropping and handling your backpack a lot during breaks. Not to mention that there’s always a chance for rain. You’ll need a camera that will handle the stress of your Grand Canyon hike. No need to worry with the GoPro HD HERO 960. It’s shockproof and the included housing protects it from rocks and other hazards and makes it waterproof up to 180’/60m. I wouldn’t be surprised if it survived a fall off the canyon into Colorado river. Of course I don’t recommend doing that. What’s great is that the glass lens and housings are replaceable and inexpensive.
Take a look at the features of the GoPro HD HERO 960:
- High-definition video capture
- With selectable resolutions, including 960p, 720p and 480p.
- 5.0-megapixel photos
- Automatically shoot at 2-, 5-, 10-, 30- and 60-second intervals, so you don’t miss an important shot.
- Included Accessories
- 1 lithium-ion battery, 1 waterproof housing, 1 helmet front mount, 1 head strap, 1 quick release buckle, adhesive mounts, USB, component, and composite cables.
- Single shot, triple shot and self-timer options
- Allow for more traditional photo capture.
- Sound recording system
- Delivers brilliant audio.
- Secure Digital card slot
- Allows you to store or transfer media (memory card not included).
- Polycarbonate exoskeletal housing
- With a water-resistant design up to 180′ for durability and optimal performance.
- Wearable design
- Allows you to record during a variety of activities.
- Find Great Deals on Digital Camera Accessories!
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Provides up to 2.5 hours of recording on a single charge. Heating system keeps the battery warm during winter activities
- GoPro HD HERO 960 Wearable HD Video Camcorder – Silver
NOTE: Be sure to get an extra GoPro Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery – Black
- Height: 1.6″
- Width: 2.4″
- Weight: 3.3 oz. with battery; 5.9 oz. with housing
- Depth: 1.2″
Read what another person said about the GoPro HD Hero 960:
“Excellent Action Camera” – By captnjack
“This camera is ideal for anyone that wants to document your activities from POV’s that are not possible with a standard video or still camera. It is rugged with housings for damage protection in most any condition. Quality of the video and stills are excellent and rival most any video/still camera available…”
Review Paraphrased for size — view original review here.
CONCLUSION: For your Grand Canyon hike and all your outdoor adventures, this camera has it all. With the remarkable HD quality video and stills and all the features, it’s hard to believe that the price beats “regular” cameras with half the features. I’ve always wanted to take first person videos of my hikes but didn’t want to carry around a heavy camera or three different cameras to do three different functions. The GoPro HD HERO 960 Wearable HD Video Camcorder does it all.